Collagen powder has become a popular supplement in recent years. But is it worth the hype? Our osteopath Liana Ioannidis shares why she loves taking collagen and how it may be of benefit to you.
What’s the hype about Collagen and is it a good idea to supplement?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies. It makes up our connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, skin, muscles) and has functions such as strengthening our bones and improving the structure of our skin.
The thing is, as we age we lose the ability to produce the same amounts of collagen. We also may enter phases in life or enjoy activities that require higher amounts of collagen such as pregnancy, growth spurts or intense exercise training. It’s during these times you may find supplementing with a quality Collagen powder can help to support your health optimally.
Top 5 reasons why I love supplementing with Collagen
There are many benefits of Collagen supplementation, but here the top reasons why I love taking it.
1. Collagen may help to maintain the integrity of your cartilage (I am always looking for preventive methods over treatment, where possible).
2. Collagen can help to reduce inflammation.
3. Collagen may increase your muscle growth and strength.
4. Collagen is currently helping me to grow a baby (a process that requires lots of collagen).
5. Since taking Collagen a few years ago, I have noticed a significant improvement in the shine of my hair and the quality of my nails (win!).
Easy ways to use Collagen
Collagen comes as a tasteless powder that dissolves so it is easy to add to all kinds of drinks and meals. Get creative with it as you’ll find plenty of ways to incorporate it into your daily food. My favourite ways to use Collagen are:
- Adding it to a morning coffee, hot chocolate or chai latte
- Mixing it into porridge, soups or stews
- Using it as an extra protein boost in a smoothie or post-gym protein drink
If you aren’t sure if collagen is the right supplement for you, make sure to ask me or any of our Osteopaths in your next consultation at Whole Body Health and Wellness.
Lead Image: NutraOrganics Collagen Body stocked at Whole Body Health & Wellness Geelong West and Ocean Grove clinics.