09 Dec Recipe: Lavender Lemonade
Lavender has long been known for its ability to bring a sense of calm, and can even help promote sleep. But it can also be a great addition to a traditional lemonade! So whether you need a calming drink during the festive season or a spin on traditional lemonade for Summer, this is a great recipe to try.
How to make Lavender Lemonade
- 6 cups water (divided)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1-3 Tbsp dried lavender (depending on preference) Alternatively a handful of fresh lavender works well. Just be sure that is it safe and free from pesticides etc.
- 2 cups lemon juice
- Lemon slices to garnish
- Purple food colouring (optional)
- Over medium heat, combine two cups of water and sugar, bringing to a boil until sugar is dissolved. Turn off of the heat and stir in honey and lavender.
- Allow mixture to steep for 2 hours (less if you want less of a lavender taste). Strain the liquid, pressing the lavender down to make sure you get all of those juices into your mixture!
- In a large jug, combine the lemon juice, lavender mixture and water.
- Feel free to add a couple of drops of blue or purple food colouring if you want more colour than the lavender provides.
- Serve over ice.
Feel free to adjust the recipe as needed. Add less of the lavender mixture if you feel it is too floral, or add more water to dilute. You could even try adding some soda water for a bubbly lemonade!