We are so excited to have Kim Lonergan join our team! Kim is an accredited practising dietitian passionate about helping and empowering her clients to take charge of their health, nourish their bodies and ultimately reach their goals. Kim has lots of experience in a diverse range of settings – clinical, sports and community. Kim loves working with clients, whatever their health concerns/needs, but particularly loves working with mums and children/babies. She also has a keen interest in gut health, and has recently completed Monash University’s training program of the FODMAP diet, for people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Food is such an important part of our health. Especially this time of year, so Kim has shared one of her favourite Winter meals – a nourishing, tasty and easy-to-prepare wholesome soup. Check out Kim’s recipe below.
SPICED MOROCCAN & BEAN SOUP
I wanted to share this soup recipe with you because it’s a family favourite and it’s super easy. It’s the type of meal you can throw together really quickly, because it’s predominately made from staple ingredients in your cupboard. Win!
The best thing about this soup is that it is super healthy and very filling – meat eaters won’t even know it’s vegetarian. My husband is the biggest carnivore going around and this is one of his favourite dinners in Winter! It’s loaded with protein, fibre and iron, which is perfect for growing children and tried adults that need some nourishing.
Perfect served with some crusty bread on the side, or even by itself. My kids love it topped with cheese and the adults love it served with coriander and chilli.
I’m a bit rogue when it comes to ingredient amounts – I tend to go off feeling. Just add more water if the soup is too thick – it won’t lose its flavour. And remember to drain and rinse the beans before adding them!
Love and light
See below for this wonderful recipe!
- 1 brown onion roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cups of water (add more if your mixture is too thick)
- 1 veg stock cube
- 3/4 cup of red lentils
- 400g canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans of four bean mix (or use whatever beans you would like)
- 1 carrot cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 zucchini cut into 1cm cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander, chilli flakes or cheese to add on top
- A bit of love
- Saute olive oil and brown onion for 3 minutes
- Add spices and cook for a further minute
- Add water, stock cube, can of tomatoes, beans, lentils, zucchini and carrot. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat. Cook for roughly 20 minutes until the veggies are cooked to the desired texture. Stir regularly and add water if needed.
- I like to blitz my soup in the thermomix on a very low speed for a few seconds, just to make it easier for my little ones to eat. Still keep it chunky though!
- My kids love this soup with a little bit of cheese on top.
- I love it topped with coriander and chilli flakes.
- Enjoy! Also goes well with a glass of red!
Let us know if you make Kim’s awesome recipe!
If you would like to see Kim at our Geelong clinic, give us a call on 5200 1044 or book online here.
About the author