23 Jun Recipe: Homemade Baked Beans
Dark and chilly mornings call for a warm, nourishing breakfast. This Homemade Baked Bean recipe by Whole Body Health & Wellness nutritionist, Sarah Appleford, does just the trick!
Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast provides you with the energy boost you need to get going. These Homemade Baked Beans also are a good source of plant-based protein helping to stabilises your blood sugar levels and keeping you feeling full until your next meal.
Make a batch of these baked beans and you’ll have a great breakfast (or emergency dinner) ready for your busy mornings.
How to make Homemade Baked Beans
Makes 4-5 serves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2x 400g tin 4 bean mix
- 2x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/5 lemon, to serve
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and spices. Sauté until soft.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Once the sauce has reduced, seasons with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Serve on toast with avocado and a side of baby spinach. Finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Feel free to play with the flavours – try adding some chilli flakes or smoked paprika for a spicy hit or some fresh basil or parsley.
For more nourishing recipes, book a consultation with Whole Body Health nutritionist, Sarah Appleford.
Call 5200 1044 or book online here.
Image source: foodandwine.ie